Thursday, February 9, 2012

Theme Thursday: Hear, Listen

Theme Thursdays is a fun weekly event hosted by Reading Between Pages that will be open from one thursday to the next. Anyone can participate in it. The rules are simple:
  • A theme will be posted each week (on Thursday’s)
  • Select a conversation/snippet/sentence from the current book you are reading
  • Mention the author and the title of the book along with your post
  • It is important that the theme is conveyed in the sentence (you don’t necessarily need to have the word)
    Ex: If the theme is KISS; your sentence can have “They kissed so gently” or “Their lips touched each other” or “The smooch was so passionate”
This will give us a wonderful opportunity to explore and understand different writing styles and descriptive approaches adopted by authors.

Today's theme is HEAR, LISTEN.

My snippets:  

"And in her bosom I'll unclasp my heart
And take her hearing prisoner with the force
And strong encounter of my amorous tale."

(from Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare)



"When I had rung the bell with an unsteady hand, I turned my back upon the gate, while I tried to get my breath and keep the beating of my heart moderately quiet.  I heard the side door open, and steps come across the courtyard; but I pretended not to hear, even when the gate swung on its rusty hinges."

(from Great Expectations by Charles Dickens)


2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so nice. You chose from some classics. Are you reading them this week.. Love your snippets!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am reading both of those right now, one for the Mixing It Up Challenge, and one for the 12 Shakespeare in 2012 (further down blog). Dickens is an especially good source of snippets--you really can't find an uninteresting sentence from him!

      Delete